Unorganised workers’ and social security:
The term ‘unorganised worker’ has been defined under the Unorganised Workers’ Social Security Act, 2008 as ‘a home based-worker, self employed worker or a wage worker in the unorganised sector and includes a worker in the organised sector who is not covered by any of the Acts mentioned in scheduled II of its Act’.
The following are the welfare measures envisaged under the Unorganised Workers’ Social Security Act, 2008 for unorganised workers’ socio-economic upliftment which are aimed be implemented by Labour & Employment Department, Govt. of Assam.
- Registration of unorganized workers and issue of identity card/smart card through District Administration
- Workers facilitation centres at district and block level.
- Employment injury benefit
- Educational schemes for children
- Skill upgradation of workers
The registration of the unorganized workers involves-
- Identification, enumeration and verification of the unorganized workers.
- Biometric validation of unorganized workers.
- Allotment of Unorganised Worker Identification Number (UWIN).
- Enrolment of the unorganized workers in other social security scheme
- Card personalized and issuance
- Helpline, complaint and grievance redressal.
- Monitoring and evaluation.
The unorganised workers have also been offered the following schemes by the Central Govt:
- Aam Admi Bima Yojana
- Rastriya Swastha Bima Yojana
- Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme
- National Pension Scheme(NPS)-Lite (Swavalamban) Scheme